Sunday, December 4, 2011

my glowy and snowy flocked tree...

happy December everyone! this is my favorite time of year! i just love everything Christmas! i am so happy to have finished decorating the "big house" (my client's 10,000 sq. ft. home)...this is the 9th year for me to do this project and although i love doing it, it is LOTS of physical work that wears me out...and creative work too...phew.....but it is done, and this year when i attend the Christmas party at the "big house", my parents will be going too...... that will be a lot of fun, to show them where i work....and they will be able to meet the "bun lady" for the first time.....the "bun lady" is who i work for.....you can read about her here..... i have never spoken of her here on my blog.... but i will soon.

so now....it is smooth sailing for me until Christmas....
one of the prettiest and glowiest Christmas trees i have ever seen, belonged to my girlfriend Shacina.... it was about 7 or 8 years ago (i think)....anyhoo, she had flocked her tree using Ivory Snow flakes!! so that year, i was so inspired by her tree, i went to all of the neighborhood stores, hunting down boxes of this elusive Ivory Snow....i could only find three boxes in all of Nashville....but i chickened out on trying the snow effect that year and those 3 boxes, of Ivory Snow, have sat in my cupboard for all this time.

until this year, when i had a real hankering (that's a fun word, especially if you use a southern accent whilst saying it) for a live flocked tree....i love flocked trees...i love SNOW...i live in the south and snow is more of a novelty around here.... and i LOVE it.

i had to research (don't you love using that term "research" like you are some kinda researcher or something...but really you just "google" it) i had to RESEARCH the recipe for the snow flocking...and i quickly found out that my 3 boxes of Ivory Snow that have been sitting in the cupboard for all these years well, they discontinued making that stuff in 1978!? so, NO WONDER it was so hard to find!

I mixed 2 cups of Ivory Snow with 1/4 cup of hot water and beat with a blender on high....until the soap became thick, like frosting.....and then i just spread it on the branches... in places where you think snow would actually fall onto a branch....out in nature.

i spread it thickly... even right over the twinkle lights...it hardens almost immediately and looks just like

SNOW.

right, miss daisy?

and boy does it smell good!

that is, if you like the smell of soap.

a simple white ribbon....no ornaments needed on this tree.





my kitchen all

SNOWY and GLOWY.

sorry to say, this stuff is a thing of the past....but the good news is (found after some "researching") is that you can substitute the flakes with Ivory Soap bars that you grate up....if you are so inclined....sounds like a lot of work....the grating, that is...


the Christmas season is here and i will be tweaking and decorating my own home right up until the big day...because i dearly love doing so. my parents will be here from Arizona, this week for, long over due family fun.

creating a cozy, glowy, snowy and festive home for my family is important to me....it is part of the tradition of Christmas and the honor we place on the celebration for the real

reason for the season.


i am joining these fun parties...won't you too?

debra at common ground for vintage inspiration friday


25 comments:

Leo said...

This is such a beautiful tree. I am really wanting a flocked tree this year and have been on the hunt for one. My friend located a place today that sells christmas trees and will flock them for you. I want one lightly dusted like yours as opposed to heavy flocking sprayed on. I may try to do it myself if it is their trees are too heavy. Thank you for such an inspiring post. I look forward to learning more about the Bun Lady.

Heaven's Walk said...

What a pretty tree, Erin! I just love the idea of using something so clean and natural like Ivory soap! lol! I'll bet that your house smells fresh! :) If you see bubbles on Miss Daisy's lips, you know she's been licking your tree. lolol!

xoxo laurie

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Enjoyed reading about Cordia and her accomplishments - Good for her!
Your flocked trees are so pretty! I remember the ivory flakes and people using them to make faux snow years ago, but never tried it myself - thanks for jogging my memory.
Miss Daisy does look interested. :D

Donna said...

Love the tree! I didn't know they didn't make the detergent either!! The simple elegance is breaktaking.
Now we know who you work for! Loved the story and maybe you can share pics of how you decorated her house.
Hugs,
Donna

Razmataz said...

I love how natural the snow looks on this beautiful tree Erin. And of course there is your sweet cat checking it out.

Olive said...

Erin, it could not be more pretty. Could the soap bars be sliced and put in a food processor and then shredded I wonder? The shot of Miss daisy is priceless. happychristmas♥O

Susie~From My Home To Yours said...

Erin,
Your tree is awesome. I was thinking about trying a flocked tree and even 'Googled' a how too a few weeks back, but, like you, sort of chickened out.

I love the tree itself also. What kind of tree is it? I love the open-ness of the limbs. I'm in Florida and have looked like crazy for a tree like yours.

Thanks and Blessings,
Susie

KarenB said...

It's so fun and beautiful! No more Ivory Snow? Well, I'm glad you found an alternative. Because now, you've just whet all our appetites for this new slow flocking beautifying technique!

Lucy Corrander : Photos said...

It's a lot of work but Christmas decorating is such fun it must be good to be able to decorate more than your house alone.

It's me said...

What a beautiful decorated tree!!!.....love it !!.....enjoy a happy week darling....xxx...

flowersandhome said...

Love the christmastree!!! Indeed, no other decoration needed in this case. So beautiful with the 'snow' and the light and just one big white ribbon on top. Love the starry lights in the back too. I must say I never saw a flocked tree like this and I probably never will since you, again probably, used up the very last boxes and I don't see myself grating up soap ;-)
Bye,
Marian

Antique ART Garden said...

As usual, a great post.

KELLY said...

I think I've never had volume before today upon entering your site. Your music grabbed hold and captivated me. Thank you.

michelle said...

What a beautiful tree and I agree, the bow and snow are all it needs with the lights. I hope you are enjoying family time and the Christmas season.
hugs.
xoxo

D.B. said...

I love your simple tree! It is gorgeous. With a six year old, we are full of color this Christmas. I was thinking as we were decorating, wouldn't it be nice to only have lights on the tree. Maybe someday. In Michael's yesterday Jack saw colored tree lights and feel in love. ARRRGGGGHHHHH! I don't think I could ever do that!
I look for you at Dickens of Christmas!

Unknown said...

It's perfect. I so love all your Winter White. I do have my days where I want to throw all my color away, especially after a visit into your wonderland. I love the IVORY idea.

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

As an Ivory Soap girl wannabe...
I love your sparkling clean tree! Really Erin...everything you do is magic! Looking forward to learning more about The Bun Lady! Sounds like an inspiring boss! Have a wonderful time with your family :)

outjunking said...

Love the ivory soap recipe. I had forgotten about how great it works. Looks great. Your newest follower.
Lisa

Julie B. [Holland] said...

I was inspired by your "branches" last year, I think I might try that this year over my arch from the kitchen area to the eating area. Happy Holidays Erin!
Loved Loved Loved your paintings!
The one with the fence and birds was my favorite! Julie [Holland]

miabellavintage said...

I am pretty sure you can get ivory snow here in Canada......I used it on my kids diapers and they were born in the 90's.....now I will be on a mission. Thanks Erin.

I cannot believe you had that stuff sitting around all that time!!!!!

miabellavintage said...

Oh wait, mmmm soap flakes?

Scott Law said...

I was telling my photo buddy about your incredible decorating and photography talents just last night and here you go proving me right again. Nice work.

Arabella said...

I am sure enjoying your Christmas decorating posts...everything is so lovely. You really have divine taste.

Happy holiday hugs,
Marie

Unknown said...

Oh Erin....your home is pure magic.....and those snowballs!!! are there tutorials on how to make them? pure fun!!!Your mantle is breathtaking. *happy sigh*

Saqib Khatri said...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly that love and read more on this topic. If possible, such as gain knowledge, would you mind updating your blog with additional information? It is very useful for me. Best Flocked Trees in 2018