Monday, September 19, 2011

yippie skippie! fall is just around the corner....

in the last two weeks the temperature has gone down a good 30 degrees and finally we can open the doors, to let the the fresh air waft through the screening...


i found this 100 year old screen door a few months ago and it was almost perfect for the front of my house.......almost, in the fact that my carpenter had to shorten it by 4 inches...but other than that it is pretty perfect....i did not even have to paint over the original old paint.....as it is the same black/green as my door and shutters!! when i bought it, i doubted it was REALLY 100 years old...(especially at a mere 20 smackeroos)...but my carpenter gave it a close look and confirmed that yes indeedy it was at least that old. my house was built in the 1970's and has never had a screen door! and now after another LONG HOT summer.....well, i can open the doors.....and it feels like my house can breathe......
me too.



especially if i open this backdoor too......although that does create a vacuum effect and slamming of the doors does occur....(the kitty's and i found that out, after being startled more than once)hence the use of doorstops.



but now...



the house can breathe.




nothing much came of my showing at the art walk......well, i didn't sell anything, that is.



i don't know if it is the change in the weather or the painful sty on my eye last week.....but i seem to be in an art slump right now.......i am kind of STUCK on this last painting of mine....i know it is a temporary block......i am learning to change focus...until that "block" clears........so i thought i'd have some fun pulling out a few fall items for the house.



this gourd garland i had hanging over my front door last year, but with the new screen door (which opens outwards) that was not going to work....so i am trying it over the fireplace for now.




i rather like this palette of aqua and raw umber.....


































and i had to share this last shot of "hearts-a-bustin" or "strawberry bush" as some call it....it is just about to bust open and reveal its scarlet seed pods.....so SO pretty this time of year. it is sitting inside my brand new wire basket that i bought from Sassy Trash at the Bella Rustica Marketplace, Nashville's very first Urban Barn Sale which was this last weekend at Tap Root Farm. it was a gorgeous setting for this really fun sale, but rather hard to navigate through the narrow aisles of the barns once you (me) had your hands full of purchases......perhaps next year they will think about a having a station to drop off your purchases until you leave.......like a coat check....just suggesting. all in all, it was a fantastic sale! the vendors, the setting, the weather, the live music (of course...this IS music city, after all), and all the shoppers were just chipper as could be. i hope this becomes an annual event!





anyhoo.....i am so happy about our milder weather...... as i have some gardening projects to finish up in the next two weeks, before my fall trip down to the beach. YAY.





i hope your home is breathing.

19 comments:

Olive said...

The screen door is beautiful. Our twenty year old daughter walked clean through our screen door and tore it up. The gourd garland of yours is brilliant.

michelle said...

Your screen door is so beautiful and I just love that picture. Your fall decor is so pretty and so calming. I just love fall and everything that comes with it. I hope you find your inspiration again, which I know you will and until then enjoy your days.
xo

Unknown said...

sigh...i'm gonna come live in your house! LOVE the mason jars with acorns. It's still TOO hot to actually put fall decoration out..but my head is already thinking! gorgeous photos.

Betty Sneeringer said...

I like your style. Your house is beautiful.

Carole said...

I would love to find a screen door like that, we have one of the aluminum ones. It took yrs of pleading from G to let him get one. One day I'll find an oldy:)

Love the way you decorate for Fall. I've done none so far.
I heard of that sale and it looked incredible.
I use a wire cart I hate having to hold things.

x
Carole

KarenB said...

What a great screen door and so perfect for your house! That's awesome. I love all your Fall decorations. Aqua and the brown tones are beautiful together, aren't they? I done ANY Fall decorating yet. Zero, nada, zip. My Mom arrives Wednesday to visit for a week and see the house for the first time. Tomorrow is going to be spent cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. So, I doubt if I get any Fall fluffing done for two weeks. Makes me sad.

Georgianna said...

Congrats on the screen door – it looks perfect, Erin! I'm kind of stunned that it's already time for fall decor – I well remember your white pumpkins and urns from last year (I wanted that painting!!!) but it seems like it was yesterday.

Enjoy your weather and oh, my, off to the beach again!

xo – g

Heaven's Walk said...

Your screen door looks so much like my new "old" one, Erin! However....mine is still leaning up against the house....yeah...waiting to be retrofitted. Did it take alot of work for your carpenter to make yours fit?

xoxo laurie

oldgreymare said...

no breathing here yet, still sweltering...but I am decorating for fall just the same. It is necessary for my emotional well being since we are to hit double digits again this weekend.
The homestead looks beautiful :D
xx
z

It's me said...

Beautiful fall darling...nice post !! lovely to read!! have a nice day...with love Ria...xxx...

Thilda said...

I like your photos and your style, colours and athmospheres. So you have fresh air with +30 degrees Celsius?? Wow. Our highest degrees ever had +32 C last june. How much you had then? :) Have a nice week!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

YOU really know what you are doing in your HOME and with the camera my dear.....you bring more magic to each season, and this is darn fun to see what you capture for fall...I can't wait to see what you bring us for CHRISTMAS!!!! Anita

Tricia said...

I love that old screen door. I've been wanting one for my cabin, to give it a more cozy feel. I have always loved the sound they make when they close.

Hope your inspiration returns soon...sometimes a little break is all you need :)

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I bet Bella Rustica was fun - wished I could have been there. Yes - Nashville is Music City! :)

Donna said...

Gorgeous! I love the screen door. I had one on my screened porch until a cat went thru it :)
I hope your eye is better soon.
Your milk glass with the ball jars and gourds are just so creative.
Hugs,
Donna

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Just beautiful aqua and pumpkin colors.

And you ask if my house is breathing?? With a fan and O2 support...just bein' real. sigh.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

That screen door is a fantastic find. Love the photo of kitting sitting at it looking up. When I have the balcony door open in the tv room and then go open the sliding glass door in my bedroom, I get that vacuum effect too -- boom! You may not have sold any paintings at the art walk but I am sure something will happen. Your artwork is too beautiful for it not to be gracing the walls of someone's home or a gallery somewhere. Hope your eye is better soon and inspiration returns.
Sometimes we just need to recharge. Best wishes, Tammy

Ricardo MiƱana said...

Muy bonitas las imagenes.
un placer pasar por tu casa.
feliz fin de semana.

Cobalt Violet said...

It's overcast here but my windows are open ... my place is breathing!! :)
Love the screen door! What a find! LOVE that!
Love the garland too. Can't wait to go find some pumpkins and gourds!