Tuesday, October 30, 2012

my art at franklin's pumpkinfest

 HI THERE!
well, i did it!  my very first outdoor festival!  selling my wares....and i DID!  sell some stuff, that is!  to my delight and surprise, i sold 8 paintings and a stack of doily items!!  WOW....and the very best part of the whole day...listening to the wonderful compliments to my artwork and really hearing those compliments...
 i don't take compliments well and i was fearful of hearing some kind of criticism...fearful of so many things .....but yunno what...not one negative comment all day!  and oh!  to have someone like my work...get my work and to buy my work!!  wow...that was fun indeedy!
 the weather was not good.  my partner, mark porter of mark alan artisan woods and i started setting up at 5:30 a.m. in the dark, cold, damp air....the sun never showed itself....  mark was so easy to work with....he designed and built the wood framing just so that i could hang my art....i could never had done this without him...thank you, mark!!  he sells wonderful handcrafted wooden bowls, jewelry boxes, frames, cutting boards, and trays...his rustic barn wood frames really compliment my paintings.....and his easy going style put me at ease (some what).
 it was lots of fun to see my paintings all hanging together in one place as a collection...i know the importance of having a cohesive collection and so i displayed mostly fall and wintery types of paintings...people seemed to truly gravitate to my ball jar paintings and cows and horses.
 it is important for me to keep my paintings authentic and these images are what i see around me everyday....it is what i know.... living here, in quaint franklin, tn.
that's me and my friend mark..
in our booth, at the beginning of the day...
you can't tell by the picture, but i was apprehensive about what was to come...oh boy...i am always really nervous trying something brand new...i was super cold too....by 2:30 in the afternoon, with a nervous tummy, no food or water, most likely dehydrated and the cold damp air creeping into my bones, i had started to shiver.....my hero hubby, mr. dan rescued me with a cup of hot chocolate, my Uggs boots and "hot hands" to put in my pockets....he made me eat a sandwich too and i started to feel much better....being out in the elements with my art may not be for me....not sure i'll do it again...i am still absorbing it all...but my biggest fear....fear of people liking my art...liking me...well, that fear is gone.
~poof~
like actress sally field said while accepting her academy award, using a very surprised tone,
"wow, you like me, you really like me".

erin

28 comments:

oldgreymare said...

we LOVE you dear girl...LOVE you <3

Zenitude said...

I've also caught myself saying those very Sally Fields words. I've grown to actually look forward to the Market, I can say I enjoy it now. I hope you'll continue, you have such wonderful things to offer the world.
Have no fear!

Olive Cooper said...

Poof is right. Of course they and we love this beautiful art. The Ball jar paintings are striking. It was good to have a partner to ease some of those worries.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Great news! Sounds like you had a very successful show and sale desite the cold. Congratulations!!

Georgianna said...

Congratulations, dear Erin! I am so happy for you and I never had a doubt that your work would be much loved.

Still have a hopeful spot in my house designated for one of your paintings, whenever you're ready. : ) One day.

xoxo

The Magical Christmas Wreath Company said...

Outstanding Erin, uber-congratulations, the stall looks great. Love the bird paintings and Mark's handled trays are priddy cool too. Doilies and hardware....peas n carrots:) X

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Oh ERIN!!! I could not be happier for you.. Eight paintings, congratulations, although I must admit I am not surprised... Your paintings are exquisite!!!!!
You look so sweet here, and your booth is just lovely..
Sending you a big HUG!
Penny

Laura Jane said...

So Happy for you!
LOVE those BALL JARs:)

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I couldn't be happier for you, but I'm not at all surprised that people loved your work. What's not to love?! Congratulations!!!

Custom Comforts said...

Congrats Erin!!! It is so much fun to sell your creations, to know part of you is on display in someone's home. You do lovely work, don't ever underestimate your talent.
Cindy

Marilyn said...

Congratulations, Erin. I remember a couple of posts ago when you were having challenges with color cast of those bottles.
Your booth is very inviting. Mark did a terrific job.
I'm with you on doing that scary "show your wares" stuff. I did it a while back and sold one of my two collages in a juried art show. It was daunting when I walked in and saw all these huge canvases - and my little 12 x 12 colleges!
So, you go, girl. Looks like it was a great day for you.

erin said...

thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!
love you guys!
erin
xxoo

KarenB said...

How could they not really like you? So happy it went well.

Donna said...

I knew they would love you! I am so glad you sold so many things and built your confidence up. I don't know why you doubted yourself ;)
I missed the ball jar paintings and they are beautiful! You are so talented. Love all the pics.
I am reading a book right now where the setting is Franklin!
Take care of Mr. Dan .. he is a keeper for sure!
Hugs,
Donna

Jeri Landers said...

8 paintings is really, really good! Why did you ever doubt yourself? The booth looks very inviting, nice job! That hot chocolate sure comes in handy at a cold outdoor show, I will probably need a gallon of it at "Dickens".

awal.ny said...

Your ball jar painting are so good, I feel like I could pick one up from the painting. I also love the little birds on the branches. I hope your show went well.

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Erin - not only like you...love you - so happy to see your art displayed. You are a great and talented artist. You deserve the success you found. Take care and have a great week.

Scott said...

Wonderful! And yes we really do like you!

Carole said...

Erin we all love you and your beautiful work. I know it's hard to make the leap to seller. Selling products is sometimes more then just selling the item you have to sell yourself too. A good skill for everyone I think,
Happy for you....you're a rock star!
x
Carole

Cindy said...

Oh My God! You did it! Your paintings are freakin incredible! Of course everyone loved them. And... you sold 8 paintings!!! That's ALOT! What a perfect frame your partner made to display them, it's really hard to display canvases without them blowing all over the place... and cool that he does the rustic frames and stuff, because your work complements each other... I love that first picture of you where you look like you're going GAAAAAHHHH! I am just tickled to death to see you getting your stuff out there, and seeing you get the recognition you deserve!

Cindy

myflower said...

Hi Erin!
I tuoi dipinti sono bellissimi!
Hai avuto coraggio per la tua vendita e sei stata premiata!!
Congratulations!

Sono molto felice per te!

Ciao ciao
Maurizia

pink*cherub*moon said...

No doubt or fear needed - your work is fabulous! I'm glad that you had such a successful show! Hugs, Leena

Becca said...

Oh Erin! Your art is SO lovely! I can't imagine you having any doubts or nerves about it. Congratulations on your successful event...wish I could have been there. Now, I am off to find that post of your dried hydrangeas you had hanging on something? I'm trying to figure out how to display mine in a similar fashion.

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

So happy for you! :0)

Barb said...

You are very talented and your work is beautiful! Glad your sale went so well!

Deb said...

Congratulations Erin!
Your booth & art work is gorgeous ♥
Love the rustic sign.

Kelly said...

WOW!!! that is so awesome!!!! congrats.

Jana Burianov√° said...

Amazing painting♥♥♥